Learning to Trust Through Illness


Since I have been sick for a majority of the summer I have been reflecting on my feelings of frustration about sickness and what this teaches me about my own heart and my need to feel in control. I was reminded of an article I read a few years ago in ByFaith Magazine about how to pray well for the sick in our congregations. I have seen my own sin pretty clearly these last couple of weeks and was brought to tears the other day with the realization that I am not very good at trusting in God. Being sick means having to rely on someone else. With all of the things that we have had to do with Jr. High Camp, a summer class, and support raising I have been so stressed trying to make sure everything is perfect. I would often prefer to trust in my own abilities rather then trusting in the Lord. The Lord has been using this sickness to remind me that he is good, faithful, and most of all trustworthy.

Here is an excerpt from the article that I found to be really encouraging and I recommend reading the whole thing! This excerpt reminds all of us of what we can learn through illness.

"God meets us in sickness, and we experience new dynamics through that meeting. Sickness can force us to stop and face ourselves, to stop and find the Lord. We discover sins we’ve been too busy to notice: neglectfulness, irritability, indifference, self-indulgence, unbelief, joylessness, worries, complaining, drivenness in work, trust in our own health and ability. As our need for Jesus’ mercies is quickened, our delight in God deepens. We will develop fruit of the Spirit that can develop no other way than by suffering well: endurance of faith, hope and joy that transcend circumstances, mature character, richer knowledge of the love of God, living for God not self, the humility of weakness, the ability to help others who suffer."

http://byfaithonline.com/page/ordinary-life/praying-beyond-the-sick-list

-Lindsey

Comments

Popular Posts