Togetherness-ness!

So tonight Linds and I met with our small group of couples from our church, and it was awesome. I've been a part of a number of attempts to "make big church feel small" in the past, and with more or less consistency, it just hasn't worked. I am a big goofy guy. I am loud. I like to play and laugh hard. As such, I often feel the need to monitor or censor myself in public groups because, if I am not careful, I can often wind up being "that guy." "That guy" who always speaks up, always has the joke, always has an answer, always prays, always entertains, etc. I don't want to be that guy; it isn't fun and he doesn't have many friends, he's too different to really fit well. But tonight's group was different. We've been meeting with just a few couples for about a year now, and we've just started to expand with a few more joining us. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just works. I realized as we drove away tonight that I didn't have even one thought about questioning my actions with this group: I haven't left a group feeling that way in ages. I was comfortable, and that sometimes feels like a very rare thing. I may still be the tallest penguin in the group, but it's nice to have people to huddle with

-Drew

Comments

Popular Posts