Oh Come Let Us Adore Him


The other day I was singing O Come All Ye Faithful during church and began to ask myself what does it mean for me to adore Christ?

Did it look different for the shepherds and the wise men to adore Christ when they traveled to see him in a manager then it does for me to adore him almost 2000 years later?

Webster defines adore three ways:

1. to worship or honor as a deity or as divine

2. to regard with loving admiration and devotion

3. to be very fond of

I think I really love the line "Oh come let us adore him" because each word has a specific meaning that is truthful!

Come: This invokes action. We are invited through the grace of God to join in the worship of Christ. This word also shows that living for Christ and worshiping him involves us being active rather then stagnant.

Let Us: Being a Christian is not about an individual being alone in their worship and study of Scripture. We are all a covenant family that is called to care for one another and worship him together. At the service on Christmas Eve, stop singing for a minute and listen to the rest of the congregation. Then imagine if it was just you in the congregation singing. There is so much beauty in all the voices gathered together bringing praise, honor, and glory to Christ.

Adore Him: I think I love this phrase because it calls for deep relational love. My husband has told me many times that he adores me, but the love my husband has for me is only a glimpse of the love that Christ has for us. It is because of this love that we can adore HIM! I think Webster's definition was right and adoring Christ encompasses all of those definitions. Adoring Christ doesn't just have to happen at church or during the Christmas season, but it can happen throughout all of life!

-Linds

Painting by a Dutch painter named Matthias Stomer

Comments

Popular Posts