Trips to Africa, Answered Prayers, and Cute Birds

Summer has arrived for us, but this certainly does not mean the end of busyness for the Wilkins household. We have a lot on our plate this summer, and for me this includes babysitting. I had the opportunity to babysit today for a four year old boy. We had many adventures from flying to Africa and Hawaii to splashing our feet in the swimming pool. It was such a great day hanging out with little people! Kids are so amazing to me. After babysitting today and working at the elementary school I started reflecting again about how easy it is to put myself above children as an adult and therefore I become unwilling to relate to them on their level. There are many appropriate times that adults need to put themselves above kids, as a parent, guardian, teacher, or just an older adult, but sometimes it is neat to think about how I am just hanging out with regular people who just happen to be little.

Before we took off in our plane (his bed, all the other passengers were his teddy bears) today we made sure to strap in the bears and check all the luggage. Sadly one of the passengers decided to smoke on the plane so I was instructed by the pilot (my four year old friend) that I had to send the bear to jail. We decided it would be kind to forgive Mr. Bear since he did ask for forgiveness. After this small incident was taken care of we were off for our African journey. I am so thankful for how I see God's image in these little kids. Their imaginations are amazing. I am just reminded of the importance of treating each child with dignity and respect. Though they are little, they are each made in the image of God.

As some of you might know, Drew and I are working to raise support to work with Mission to the World. We are excited and scared about this new adventure that we are embarking on. Our first itinerating trip is planned for July and we will be traveling to Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. My friend Jenna is on the missions committee at her church in Richmond and has made a connection for us. Drew and I have really been praying that this trip in July would be fruitful and the Lord answered our prayers today. Jenna told me that her missions committee is revamping their whole approach to missions and we seem to fit right into this new vision. As Jenna told the committee about us everyone was really excited about what we have been called to do, and are looking forward to meeting with us. Praise the Lord! Please join us in prayer as we meet with this missions committee on July 6th.


On last note, I am not able to purchase many "extra" things due to the season of life that we are in, but today I found something so cute for only $3.00, so I thought I would share!

(Thank you Amy Roebke for my cute table runner!)

Comments

  1. Love your description of your adventure with your little charge of yesterday! :) We are praying about your trip in July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bonjuor mon suite petite Lindsey (and that is all the French I know) Love the blog darling! It's such a fun world! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That story sounded familiar:) Glad you had fun with him! (I assume it's the same 4 year old little man). So glad you guys posted your blog on facebook because now I have the link! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts