Fresh Cut Grass


I love the smell of freshly cut grass. It makes me feel like it's really summer, and even the simple act of mowing a lawn brings together that "i've worked hard today" sensation that makes you know it's been a good afternoon. Though I don't have a lawn myself, I am fortunate enough to have some good friends who were willing to let me come over and indulge my mowing passions on their property. They kept thanking me as if I were doing them a favor, but the fact of the matter is that there really is no such things as true altruism, and I was largely directed by my own selfish grass-impassioned motives. I chose to go with a diagonal pattern in the field in the back yard, and all in all I think the effect turned out rather nicely. The rigid angles and lines contrasted well with the circular shape of their enormous trampoline and the organic shape of their ancient sycamore tree. Yikes, I think I've just reached new heights in obscure nerdiness. Bummer.

Last summer I worked on the grounds crew at Covenant Theological Seminary and LOVED it. It was so satisfying to be working outside with my hands and to be able to have immediate tangible results of my work. We worked so hard that year that a couple who were visiting as prospective students remarked to their recruiter they would be attending in the fall because they could see our love for our Creator exhibited in our care for the school property! Earlier that spring a friend of ours commented to us about how she gets excited to garden because, while she is able to honor God primarily with her heart and her mind throughout the school year, she is able to honor him with her physical care of his creation over the summer. That thought has stuck with me, and it was particularly relaxing and invigorating this morning to be able to worship God by mowing my neighbor's lawn.

Drew

Comments

  1. And when you mix the smell of fresh cut grass with gasoline from the lawn mower, then you have a winning combination!

    We love your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to keeping up with your posts this summer. Love you and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts