Novels, yay or nay?

Here is a confession, I don't like to read novels. I know, I know, you are probably thinking...Whhhaaattt?? Well, it is true. Many have tried to understand this mystery about me, and it has yet to be solved. No, I haven't even read The Chronicles of Narnia or Harry Potter much to my husband's chagrin. I would so much rather pick up a book on theology than a story, but I am working to be a little bit more balanced on this issue. My love for theology books will probably never change, but I do want to learn to love stories more. Drew's new theory is that I like stories that are about real life. I loved reading Marley and Me and over Christmas break this year I read The Help, and I loved both of these books! So in an attempt to be better balanced I picked up a book at the library yesterday called Home to Woefield by Susan Juby. I read a little before bed last night and this is how the story starts:

"I don't know about you, but for me there came that moment during every visit to the farmers' market when I wanted more. I wanted to be the one standing behind the folding table, a truck of organic produce at my back, displaying my heirloom of tomatoes and baby potatoes. I want to be the one handing over glossy sheaves of swiss chard at a reasonable price and talking knowledgeably about my mushroom patch. The one looking cold and somewhat chapped about the face and hands, yet more alive than anyone else in unfashionable rubber boots and dirty pants."

If Drew's theory is right then I will enjoy this book, because I have wanted to be exactly what she describes. Though, MY poka dotted rubber boots are pretty cute!

We will see if I devour this book or if it sits on my bed side stand collecting dust and late fees because I have forgotten to return it on time.

-Lindsey


Comments

Popular Posts