The Mirror

This week my little girl discovered herself in the mirror.  Recently we have been stopping at the mirror in the mornings or after naps, but before this week she wasn't interested and didn't respond.  Earlier this week we stopped and she immediately reacted and let out shrieks of joy and laughter. As I watched her discover her own reflection what struck me was that she was able to look at herself without one bit of shame, fear, or insecurity.  Even as I held her and saw my own reflection it was easy for my mind to slip into contempt towards my body that is still carrying baby weight or my own fears about my new role as mama.  Oh how easy it is to forget that I am loved by my Savior no matter what image is reflecting back at me.

My sweet Anna has also been broken by the fall, and her ability to look at herself without shame will only last so long until she herself is flooded with insecurities.  My prayer for my little girl is that she would know how high and wide and deep and long is the love of Christ for her, so that when she is tempted towards contempt at her own reflection, these truths would lead her back to the love of her Savior.  That despite her brokenness, shame, and insecurities, her Savior purchased her life by his death and resurrection, and therefore she can look in the mirror without shame because she has been forgiven!  That by the riches of his glory she will be strengthened in her inner being to know this love of Christ, be rooted and grounded in it, and know that nothing can separate her from this love!  It seems as though even this mama needs to be reminded of these truths on a regular basis!

-Lindsey

Comments

  1. Beautiful post, Lindsey. I'm going to have Lydia read this. (Daphyne)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lindsey! I'm right here with you! I have had these same thoughts for my girls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts