A Wise Old Dead Guy - Brother Lawrence

Image of Brother Lawrence from a book published by Fleming Revell Co. in 1900.
Appropriate for the article on the subject. 
Devadaru (talk) 18:58, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
Recently a friend of mine recommended to me a book called Practicing his Presence, which is a collection of writings and reflections of Frank Laubach and Brother Lawrence.  The driving core of the book is the intentional development of one's awareness of the constant and active presence of God.  As the contents of Practicing his Presence are principally journal entries and excerpts from letters, it is a rather concise read.  And yet, given the more intimate and relational nature of the authors' original writings, there is a startling depth to such a simple collection.  I've been giving it a rather slow read in order to soak in their thoughts all the deeper, and today I reached the end.  Brother Lawrence would by counted among the "mystics," his focus being more intent upon the experience of the Christian life rather than the systematics of the theology that supports it.  For me, this is gold.  I have the greatest respect for the systems and frameworks that support and uphold a right defense and establishment of the function and trustworthiness of Scripture.  However, it has never been these things that speak to my heart or convince my mind.  Rather, it is the experiencing of how the metanarrative of Scripture, the story of life which the Gospel tells, meshes so completely with my life that it captures me wholly for Christ.  It is because of this that I have appreciated Brother Lawrence so much.

The heart of his message is this:
"I made it my business to be in the Lord's presence just as much throughout the day as I did when I came to my appointed time of prayer.  ...[W]hen we are faithful to keep ourselves in his holy presence and to set his face always before us, there is a good result.  ...But even more, such an exercise begets in us a holy freedom and a familiarity with God.  We ask, and ask successfully, for the grace we stand in need of.  In short, by often repeating these acts they become habit.  The presence of God becomes natural to us" (Practicing His Presence, p. 60, emphasis mine).

The presence of God becomes natural to us.  What more could we ask?

- Drew

Comments

Popular Posts