A Familiar Passage

This morning Drew and I were reading Psalm 23 over Drew's famous apple cinnamon oatmeal and coffee (our favorite breakfast) and after reading it we both had similar thoughts as we started to discuss it. We both agreed that in our own hearts it is easy to dismiss this psalm because it is so familiar. So in light of that we stopped and looked a little deeper into it, and both found some comfort and encouragement from it. The original audience would have understood this psalm so well due to the culture that they lived in and the roll that shepherds played. I on the other hand have not been around too many shepherds or sheep, but the imagery is still beautiful. The commentary in my ESV Study Bible says, "This hymn is usually classified as a psalm of confidence in the Lord's care." This is where I found my encouragement. The imagery of green pastures and calm water welcomes rest. He blesses his sheep with restoration of their souls. A friend recently reminded me that sanctification doesn't always mean struggle or hardship, but it can mean receiving gentleness, patience, kindness, and blessing from the Lord. This psalm is a wonderful reminder of that.

This psalm reminded me today that the Lord cares for me and I can find complete confidence in this care. I also learned that there is always more and more to glean from scripture, even from those all too familiar passages! :)

Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

Picture found Here

-Lindsey

Comments

Popular Posts