Browsing Through The Periodicals


Good Afternoon! I have tendency to get distracted when I think about sitting down to write a paper that I am NOT very excited about. So this morning my distraction led me into the Current Periodical Room in the library at school. As I was browsing through I saw titles like: Toronto Journal of Theology, Mission Frontiers, Presbyterian Heritage, and The Journal of Youth Ministry. This is just a sampling of a few of the titles; oh how I wish I had more time!

I found my way down to the journals about theology and psychology and my eyes were drawn to this particular title. The Journal of Psychology and Theology with an article titled, Evaluating the Impact of Transition Seminars on Missionary Kids' Depression Anxiety, Stress, and Well-Being. BINGO! Drew and I have done a significant amount of research regarding the topic of caring for MKs as they transition back to the states. Unfortunately not a lot has been written, and even in this article the researchers agree that more research needs to be done!

I won't bore you with all of the psychological research jargin (though I confess I find it fascinating!). I was extremely encouraged by the research that was done. I know we have defined before what a Third Culture Kid (TCK) is, but I will remind you again just in case you forgot.

"A TCK is a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK frequently builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of similar backgrounds (other TCKs)" (Pollock and Van Reken, 2001).

We have seen this first hand working with TCKs. They have an extraordinary gift of crossing cultures, interacting with others who are different from themselves, and looking at life from a more global perspective. However, there is also a lot of struggle with growing up in this way. The research done in this study was to see whether an MK Transition Seminar that helps TCKs adjust to life back in the states changes their level of anxiety, depression, and stress, and psychological well being.

The findings are incredible and I think very affirming of the ministry that The Global Youth and Family Ministry is embarking on.

35 recent high school graduates from schools overseas who were attending re-entry conferences in two different locations in the U.S. were tested. The mean age of the participants was 18.11 years. This sampling of students actually represents 28.6% of the total population of students that attended these two conferences.
Two different psychological tests were completed before the conference and after to gather quantitative info. (Depression Anxiety and Stress Scales-21(DASS-21; Lovibond & Lovibond, 1995), and (Psychological General Well Being Index (PGWBI; Dupuy, 1984).

Like I said above the results are amazing. Are you ready??

For the first test (DASS)-
43% of participants were experiencing levels of anxiety and depression pre-conference and
66% were experiencing levels of stress.

After the conference it was reported that levels of anxiety and depression dropped to 20% and the number of participants experiencing stress dropped to 14%

For the second test (PGWBI)-
Pre-conference 43% reported moderate or severe distress to their psychological well-being
Post-conference this number dropped to 17%

After the conference there was a 57% increase in psychological well being!!!

I know that was a lot of numbers and hopefully you were able to hang in there! At the conference TCKs participated in small group discussions led by a therapist, individual counseling, gender specific discussions led by a fellow TCK, social activities that helped TCKs feel more comfortable in cultural activities, and psycho-educational conversations in a large group setting. They were given opportunities to share their stories and therapists used narrative therapy as a technique during counseling sessions. One of the biggest things that the researchers found was helpful was providing space for the TCKs to connect to other TCKs!

TCKs connecting to other TCKs is so important. This was the purpose for our trip to Mexico in October. MTW also provides their own re-entry conference that Drew and I will be able to participate in in the future.

The life of a TCK can have a lot of joy, but also a lot of pain. Drew and I are excited to do our best to enter the world of TCKs and help them as they fight through the struggle, and wrestle with how the Lord will use them to further his kingdom.

We would love for you to join us in this fight. Please pray about supporting us with a monthly donation. You can find information through our website www.gyfm.org or www.mtw.org. Our support account number is 18294.

Thanks for hanging in there through the research portions of this post. Please keep us in your prayers as we continue to raise support to work in this ministry that is so important to the next generation!


Source:
Davis, P., Headley, K., Bazemore, T., Cervo, J., Sickinger, P., Windham, M., & Rehfuss, M. (2010). Evaluating Impact of Transition Seminars on Missionary Kids' Depression, Anxiety, Stress, and Well-Being. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 38 (3), 186-194.

-Lindsey

Comments

  1. Linds, thanks for sharing this. I find it very fascinating, of course, being a...dare I say it...TCK myself (I've always resisted the label, but I know it helps others to shape an identity, so I won't knock it. That's a whole other discussion entirely).

    A few questions: Was there any research done to measure these TCKs psychological well being several months or a year after the conference? Given the common "mountain top" experience after a conference, especially one where theses TCKs have been very encouraged and affirmed, it is not surprising to me that the psychological well being was so much better. But what about once these young people had actually assimilated back 6 months to a year after? Just wondering if any measurements have been made there. The reason I ask is because it was several months to a year later when, in my experience, my TCK friends and family REALLY struggled.

    Also, I'm wondering if this sampling included any TCKs that were not MKs (parents whose vocation is ministry abroad, or missionaries, if you like), like what about those whose parents are military or embassy or those living abroad for business, etc? I find it interesting that you say "TCKs connecting with other TCKs is so important." In your experience or research, do you find that this connection is the same with any or all other TCKs (military/business/embassy) or, rather, mostly between those whose parents are in the same kind of line of work (say, ministry)? And if that is the case, is this not simply a case of needing affirmation/connection with people like you?? Does that question even make sense?? :)

    I have more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. I'd love to hear your and Drew's thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey...you know I'm a huge supporter, fan and advocate of Research-based practices so this post completely hits home with me and resonates why GYFM is so important. I wish more of this type of data existed and also more longitudinal studies of what happens years down the line. Youth is such a delicate time in one's life...biologically there is so much going on in one's brain development! I can't wait to see what else you find as you travel down the road of learning more about TCK's. Let's personally be committed to what works (all within God's design, of course)! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts