To Treasure and To Ponder

The house is still, and the twinkle of the Christmas tree makes the room feel warm.  I can still hear Anna's little squeals, and the songs playing on the new toys that she received today.  She had a blast digging into Christmas presents, eating green tissue paper, exploring empty boxes, and giggling as her Daddy pushed her so high on the swing outside. Our hearts are full tonight after celebrating Christ's birth together as a family of three.  This time last year I was very pregnant and dreaming about the little babe that would bless our family.  As Drew and I read the Christmas story this morning in Luke 2, I felt as though I understood the emotion that Mary might have felt a little bit deeper this year.

Luke 2:19
"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart."  

One thing that I have said a lot in these last 10 months of being a mom is that I just don't know how to take it all in.  Anna is growing so fast and changing everyday.  I just can't take enough videos or photos to capture the joy and excitement it is to watch her grow up.  Her first Christmas has come and gone.  It is simply impossible to hold onto a day forever, and Anna will only be this little for so long. We have been being intentional to be present with her in each moment in order to remember and treasure these days.  I think I am learning what it means to ponder and cherish each moment with my little girl.

  As Mary celebrated her first Christmas in the cattle stall she didn't have an iPhone to record all of baby Jesus' little noises, coos, or cries.  She had to be still and take it all in. When I try to picture the scene in my head I imagine that Mary was quiet as she gazed at her baby, gazed in wonder at his little fingers and little toes.  This little baby, conceived by the Holy Spirit, that she just gave birth to, would be the Savior of the World.  Mary had a lot to treasure that day as she held her baby close to her heart. She pondered what was said about her Son by the Angel, "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord" (Luke 2:11).  This was good news of great joy that was for ALL the people (Luke 2:10).  Mary's Son would save ALL people from their sins!


Luke 1: 47
"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior."

-Lindsey

Comments

Popular Posts