Considering Mysticism

Hildegard of Bingen, detail fromKosmosmensch Scivias domini , 12th c.

Some words carry a lot of baggage along with them.  'Mysticism' practically needs its own luggage rack.  This is not really a bad thing as long as one is careful to unpack those bags with discernment as the concept is investigated - such heavy-laden words deserve a little extra consideration.  As such, this post is really only a brief off-the-top-of-my-head consideration of how to appropriately engage this particular one.  However, in the time that I have spent mulling over the concept of "Christian mysticism," I have found myself surprisingly, and even positively, challenged by what I've encountered.  That said, here goes nothin':

It has been my experience that in Christian circles the concept of mysticism is one that is often at best feared, and at worst demonized...and I mean with literal demons (sadly, we Christians seem to LOVE to jump to that conclusion).  And yet, while it is undeniable that the mystics of the faith have often had a lamentable tendency to chuck their theology out the window with tragic rapidity, I believe their openness toward and contributions to the less tangibly and more spiritually oriented aspects of the faith warrant a much larger platform for consideration and discernment. That is not to say that their thoughts should simply be adopted, but rather that, viewing them through the discerning lens of theological and hermeneutical astuteness, it would be unwise to neglect that which our more traditional systematics and frameworks may not be quite as equipped to explore.  The challenge of not being so distracted by the signs that we miss the thing signified is certainly the challenge of the ages, but I believe it is a challenge to be shrewdly engaged.  I don't believe we should be so scared of "slippery slopes" that we are afraid to tether ourselves to solid theological foundation and repel down to explore dangers and watch for hidden gold.  

Anyway, these are just some thoughts I've had running through my head of late, and there will be more to follow later.  however, I'll finish for now with a quote from the journaled reflections of a renowned missionary of who dared to investigate the more mystic side of his faith a bit further himself: 

"Last Thursday night I was listening to a phonograph in Lumbatan and allowing my heart to commune with God.  And something broke within me, and I longed to lift my own will up and give it completely to God.  How infinitely richer this direct first hand grasping of God Himself is, than the old method which I used for and recommended for years, the reading of endless devotional books."
- Frank Laubach, in Practicing His Presence, page 9.  


- Drew

Comments

Popular Posts