Drew VS. Details

Linds and I sat down to look over our personal budget and financial situation for a little bit last night, and even I was a little shocked at how quickly my mind was feeling detached, floating aimlessly through the dark caverns of confusion and distraction. I'm not good with details; it can be a real struggle for me to hold on to all the little pieces. And thus when the complexities and meticulous things come up in life, I tend to step forward with trepidation and fear, expecting disaster.

Yeah, that's not so good.

Calvin comments on Psalm 16:8 that "David kept his mind so intently fixed upon the providence of God, as to be fully persuaded, that whenever any difficulty or distress should befall him, God would always be at hand to assist him." That's why David didn't run from lions, from giants, from maniacal hordes, or even from deranged homicidal kings.

Now I don't know too many lions, giants, hordes, or kings, but this morning I've got to figure out some tax stuff, and I'm scared stiff! AH! It is easy for me to trust the Lord as the God of outcomes, physical needs, and general providence, but I am ashamed of how little I trust him as the God of rows and columns, the God of forms, or the God of administrative tasks. Sometimes faith and trust don't require as much dramatic movement as they do patient focus.

Still, I think I'd often take a raving giant over these peripheral technicalities!

- Drew

Comments

Popular Posts