Time Keeps Ticking Away

Have you ever had a continuace thought bounce around in your head for a while, but you can never really put your finger on what it is? I have been experiencing this feeling recently, and it wasn't till today that I was able to really name what it is, and gain some perspective about it. I wrestle with the concept of time, and how there never seems to be enough of it. I always remember as a child hearing my dad say, "Well when you get older time just starts flying." Well he was right and I don't like it very much. I am always late, and I always think I can get ready in less time then I actually can. I get excited when it is 8:00 a.m. and I think it is so early and before I know it it is 11. Sometimes it just feels like the days fly by, and I find myself grumbling about how it is almost over. I often feel like this when Drew and I get to spend the day together. I cherish every single moment that I get to spend with Drew, and always feel sad when our day together has to end. Needless to say, I don't like this way of thinking.

I don't enjoy these feelings of sadness or anxiousness about time. I long to see everyday as a gift and opportunity to see God's work in creation, my life, and the lives of others. To see each day as another opportunity to serve him and continue to spread his redemption. I don't want to keep looking back or looking forward in a spirit of fear, but I would rather seize the opportunity that is in front of me with a spirit of joy and thankfulness.

Time is not my enemy!

I was reading a post today by Margie Haack that was originally published in Ransom Fellowship's newsletter, but posted on Art House America. Here is what I read that helped me gain a little perspective.

" In The Good Works Reader Thomas Oden writes about the Lord’s Prayer and the larger meaning of receiving our daily bread: “Ultimately the bread we most pray for is the clarity and truthfulness of our own purpose and destiny.” That is what I crave, I’m hungry to understand my purpose, to believe that human finiteness is okay, and to know and believe when God made us to live in dailyness He said, “It is good.” I’d like to live with a certain clarity that though the day inevitably comes with suffering, it’s still good, and I would like to gratefully receive that day with all its shuffling and waiting as a gift."

She later says,

"f I am busy considering either my body or time as enemies, then I have succumbed to a limited perspective informed by my senses and, more subtly, by cultural pressures that determine whether we are good, successful, disciplined, worthy people — thanks to iCalendar, diet, and proper exercise. Both body and time are gifts that enable me to serve God in holiness and righteousness “before Him (embodied) all our days.” That means being contented with 24-hour days — where God says it’s good to live — from babyhood to the end of life."

God has ordained all my days before me, and he is called me to live faithfully in them!

-Lindsey


Comments

Popular Posts